Hi and welcome to Lost on 66!
I set this site up to be a really helpful resource on driving the road. As it gets bigger I anticipate that finding posts that you need and that you’ll find helpful might be a little trickier so I’ve created this page to keep everything in order.
If you’re looking to get started on planning your Route 66 trip then bookmarking this page is a good idea as you’ll find all of the links you need to get you started.
What stage of planning are you in?
When you’re planning a trip you might be right at the beginning where you’re just finding information out about if a trip is possible or you might be preparing to go. When you get to each stage you’ll find you need different posts. I’ve tried to design this site with that in mind!
Stage 1 – finding info out about the road
Get your questions answered with these posts all about the road and the logistics of driving it:
- Does Route 66 still exist and can you still drive it in 2022?
- Where does Route 66 start and end?
- What states does Route 66 go through?
- How long does it take to drive Route 66?
- Best time to do Route 66: which month should you make the drive?
- Major cities on Route 66: how many are there and which should you visit?
- Route 66 with kids – tips for making the road trip family friendly
Overview posts where I look at the road as a whole:
- Route 66 attractions: state by state guide to 50+ roadside stops
- Route 66 Planner: all your questions answered PLUS free printable
- How to do Route 66 on a budget: 12 tips for keeping costs down
Stage 2 – ready to book your road trip
- Route 66 guide books: which one is best?
- Route 66 Tips & Tricks: for planning and driving
- Car rental on Route 66: all you need to know!
- Best historic hotels and motels on Route 66: where to stay on the mother road
- Route 66 accommodation: tips for booking
- Route 66 road trip: 1 week itinerary to copy!
- Route 66 in 10 days: an itinerary to copy
- Route 66: 14 day road trip itinerary
- Route 66 itinerary: 21 days on the Mother Road
- Route 66 LA to Vegas: 1 day driving itinerary
Stage 3 – state by state guides
Stage 4 – Ready to go
History and Trivia of Route 66
- 38 fascinating Route 66 facts and statistics about the Mother Road
- Route 66 – radiator springs in real life? Must see Disney Cars movie locations